As a Freshman or Sophomore:
- As a freshman, talk with counselors and teachers about careers.
- Make a list of your employment and life goals.
- Go to your IEP meetings and tell people what kind of job you think you would like.
- Lead your IEP meetings.
- Learn social skills and how to get along with others. You can learn this from a counselor or by taking classes.
- Take aptitude and interest tests to help you decide what your strengths are and the kind of jobs you like.
- Contact the Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) office to see if you are eligible for VR services.
- If you are eligible for VR services, start to work with the school counselor to develop a plan for work.
- Become a self-advocate so that you can help yourself.
- Learn about your rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Learn about how you can work with employers to let them know about your disability and have them make accommodations.
- Be able to tell others about your disability and how it affects your work.
- Ask teachers, counselors, and employers for letters of recommendation.
- Check out accessible housing or transportation, if needed.